Re: Huh?/Disagree

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ken Kurtis on September 11, 2000 at 13:10:22:

In Reply to: Huh? posted by seahunt on September 11, 2000 at 12:51:46:

(seahunt wrote) Besides, it seems that she had a problem underwater (mask flood) that a buddy could have helped her with and one way or another, she didn't get help. The buddy system failed miserably to help her.

I couldn't diagree more.

In fact (novel concept actually discussing these things based on FACTS) her buddy DID try to help her clear her mask. Her buddy DID check her mask for hair or hood causing loss of a seal. Gail (aka "The Victim" - she has a name, you know) signaled she wanted to go up and Jean, the buddy, went with her. Gail then presumably embolized during the ascent.

If you'd like to make the argument that Jean should have been able to (1) clear Gail's mask for her and (2) force her to breathe and prevent the embolism, I'd be interested in hearing the merits of that conclusion.

However, in this case, to even remotely suggest that the buddy system "failed miserably to help her" is among the more outrageous statements I've read concerning this incident. How do you think I got called over to help in the first place?

The buddy system is a not a panacea. Solo diving is not suicide. Accidents happen. I fully agree that after an accident has occured, though, the presence of a buddy or buddies will enahcne your chances of survival whereas if you're solo, you're much less likely to have a positive outcome, especially in a scenario like this.

Ken Kurtis
NAUI Instr. #5936
Co-owner, Reef Seekers Dive Co.
Beverly Hills, Ca.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]