Re: Happy Endings

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Gerry Smith on September 12, 2000 at 13:02:08:

In Reply to: Re: Happy Endings posted by Jim Hoffmann on September 12, 2000 at 08:53:34:

Jim,

Here's my nicklesworth.

Greg & Mike are brothers. Thier uncle took them for their first dive at La Jolla cove in 1962. Mike took a YMCA cert course in 1963 but Greg had no formal training. They dive together after that in North Florida and South Georgia karst (caves) and an occasional trip to the Keys. Less than 50 dives each.

In 1965 Greg & Mike turned a dive at 1000 psi in Blue Grotto near Kissimee. Mike followed Greg back up the line until they reached a tie off to the fixed line, then he leapfrogged Greg. Greg didn't notice the leapfrog and ascends the fixed line until he looks behind to check on Mike and doesn't see him. Greg turns back to find his brother. Mike, being above Greg and knowing it, continues his way out of the cave for a bit, then turns to check on Greg who, of course, isn't there. He then turns back to look for Greg.

Yeah, I know - this is a massive CF - but Greg & Mike were 17 & 18 at the time, and knew themselves to be invulnerable.

They found each other - just as Mike collapses the inhale hose on his Healthways two hose - at about 80 fsw, 200 ft. from the cave entrance. Mike signals OOA, they buddy breathe out & up, violating ascent rate rules, but breathing.

Morals/Lessons:

Stay out of overhead environments without LOTS of training and experience.

Buddies can and will save your butt, even after screwing up "by the numbers."

I know the details 'cause I'm Mike and 35 years later Greg still gives me crap about the leapfrog move.

Gerry (Michial) Smith

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]