Re: Discount Diver Supply reputation?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by brianc on September 13, 2000 at 11:17:47:

In Reply to: Re: Discount Diver Supply reputation? posted by KZ on September 13, 2000 at 10:09:54:

I like to know that there is a local dive shop still in business when I need service, air, or...

I know that some of the equipment mark-ups at local shops look high. I have friends hwo own shops and have seen the figures. I also know that the overall profitability of most shops is not high. I am willing to support/subsidize my local dive store to ensure they stay open. I depend on them for advice and service. My life often depends on those things. Not to mention that the dive shop plays a large role in the social aspects of diving.

When I deal with a catalog house, I'm just a number in their account record. When I deal with my local shop I'm a valued customer whose preferences and diving history they know and seek to serve. When I moved back to CA I spent as much time and effort finding a new "home shop" as I do looking for new gear. I ended up going to one that is further from my home and more expensive than others, but also one where I feel comfortable and trust the people who work there.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]