Re: Discount Diver Supply reputation?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Gerry Smith on September 13, 2000 at 14:26:50:

In Reply to: Re: Discount Diver Supply reputation? posted by KZ on September 13, 2000 at 12:19:19:

KZ,

You can do a LOT better than that BC at that price in local (SoCal) shops. If you can buy a package, your local shop can probably match or nearly match the on-line or mail order price. I second the points that the other replies have made and want to add these.

Your shop probably has a pool where you can try the gear - impossible with mail.

A shop knows what gear is appropriate to local conditions and will be careful to steer you in that direction (he wants your repeat business.)

A shop can provide loaners while your gear is being repaired/serviced, but if it was purchased elsewhere most shops chance the operative word from "loaner" to "renter."

This is, after all, life-support equipment. Do you really want to buy it from some faceless corporation, or from a shop owner whose livlihood depends on your satisfaction and goodwill.

I don't sell gear, but I teach scuba independant from any shop. I sing this same sermon to each class and inevitably, someone misses the epiphany. I see lots more dissatisfaction in students who went the on-line route to save a little.

GS

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]