Re: Ace One query for MHK

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Gerry Smith on September 13, 2000 at 16:22:49:

In Reply to: Re: Ace One query for MHK posted by Max Bottomtime on September 13, 2000 at 15:35:19:

Of the three bronze ports that I KNOW came off the wreck, Dana got one, I got one (both the Port side opposite the cut hole) and Steve got the last from the Starboard side. Dana's and Steve's came from the large compartment which appeared to have been a hold or engine room. This compartment spanned from one side to the other of the ship. My port came from a smaller cabin on the Port side, entered from a midship companionway (hall) which also opened into the aux. steering room.

There was another small cabin on the Starboard side which I was convinced also had a porthole. Convinced because cabins need ports for ventilation and because designers make ships symmetrical. Dana said I was FOS and we couldn't find a port, though we never got into the Starboard cabin. I thought it was probably deeper in the sand.

Interesting about the cone, it didn't have props when it was found, and Steve's research showed that it had been converted to a barge when it sunk. I assumed that props, shafts and engines were removed in the conversion. Think I need to revisit that wreck.

GS

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]