You can't tell from the weather reports

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by scubabum on November 15, 1999 at 12:52:31:

Checking the swell model and marine forecast did not look promising, late last week the scale went from 1 foot increments to two foot, the color went from red to yellow to green. I was happy to see the scale change back to one foot.

Having scheduled a trip on the Peace for Sunday Nov. 14th to San Miguel , it was with trepidation that I boarded the boat that evening. As it turns out there was a swell but it was slow, and with zero wind the trip out was exceptional.

Dawn found us anchored at Richardson's Rock, this location is virtually impossible to get to in less than ideal conditions, since this was going to be a deep dive the surge at shallow depths will not be a problem. Descending the anchor line the bottom (180+) became visible at 30 feet. With the sun breaking through this was one of the most memorable dives ever at this spot, water temp at 58 and 100+ foot visibility, the photographers were having a field day and it took a short time to collect my limit of scallops. Spending the remaining time cruising the walls, enjoying the antics of the sea lions as well as the other divers.

The next dive at Castle Rock again provided excellent visibility, hunting was good with a number of nice Redfish, Lings and Sheepshead. One more dive in Cuyler Harbor then to finish this great day a bug dive at Talcott Shoals where we enjoyed 50 foot visibility and even a few bugs.

Turns out this proves once again, regardless of the source weather reports don't really tell it like it is, so go out and dive.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]