Re: Progression of dives: how to get better

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ed L. on September 17, 2000 at 14:55:33:

In Reply to: Re: Progression of dives: how to get better posted by simon on September 16, 2000 at 01:41:06:

Ok here is my 2 cents worth. Judging from the lack of responces so far nobody has any great ideas.

First and foremost is getting to know and be comfortable with your gear. Climbing into and out of a farmer john in 2' seas on a rolling boat is not easy for someone who has never done it before. I appreciated the assistance that was given wheni I did my check out dives in the north atlantic.

Practice those skills you learned in class. If i haven't been diving in awhile still pull my mask completely off and put it back on (with my buddy next to me.) and a few other skills.

As they say practice makes perfect. Watch others around see what they are doing right or wrong. Don't be afraid to learn from your mistakes. A stupid question is the one that is unasked.

Goto a to a particular spot repeatedly so you can learn in familiar surroundings. Learn how to navigate in those surroundings also.

I would think that once you are comfortable with your equipment you ca proceed from there. Go on to working on your bouyancy etc. IF you go on a dive pick one thing you would like to work on (IE bouyancy, not kicking up silt, what ever you need to improve.) Have someonelse who is willing to help you with twhat you want to work on.

Like adding on extra layers of clothes when you are cold, add to skills one at a time.

Ed L.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]