Re: Die alone

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MHK on September 20, 2000 at 16:11:31:

In Reply to: Die alone posted by JRM on September 20, 2000 at 14:44:00:

I gave up my solo diving after an experience similiar to what you described. I was on the Andrea Doria and my buddy signaled that he wasn't right and called the dive. Since the compressor blew and the captain told me that right as I was entering the water I decided to continue my dive. We were the last team in the water and what I hadn't yet known was that a few minutes before this a different team had the same experience. My buddy was fortunate enough to make it to the surface just fine, the other buddy never surfaced and I dragged his body back to the boat a few hours later.

On the ride home Gary Gentile ( who has recoverd many bodies off the Doria ) was recalling a recovery the year before and the facts were that a buddy team got seperated about 10 minutes into the dive which would mean he had about 20 minutes more gas available. They recoverd his body a few decks down and we all tought the same thing. When did he realized just how lost he was and what panic must have been going through his mind in the 10 or 15 minutes that he must have been scrambling around to find the exit...

Really makes you think....

Regards

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]