My remarks..

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Cancer on September 21, 2000 at 13:20:42:

In Reply to: Defining Buddy/Solo posted by Ken Kurtis on September 20, 2000 at 20:54:16:

Ken,
I totally agree with you. In fact, I recently sent MHK a personal message regarding this
terrible insistence on divers' part to do their own thing while being buddied. Personally,
when I have dove, I do not feel comfortable more than 3-4 feet away from my buddy. That is a good safe
distance in my opinion-not twenty feet! At twenty feet you are as good a buddy diver as you are being
on the surface watching him/her dive. It has been my observation that most if not all of these accidents
could have been averted or had a fair chance of rescue if the buddy was being a buddy and within help's
reach. The daring of those diving is admirable but can get people killed. I personally don't ever want to
dive with someone who does not adhere to one of the tenet's of diving which is that the dive should be
done at the comfort level of the diver who is the least experienced. I believe that is one of them. If I am wrong
in phrasing it please let me know. Anyhow, I believe this is true. It seems too many times that even before
a dive begins adherence to this tenet will put the divers in such a prepared state of mind. Meaning, if they want
to go off and do their own thing the dive then becomes dangerous. It seems to me some individuals who chose
to do this endanger their buddy and themselves. I believe that if the plan is followed, the buddies stay
together, the conditions are safe and ego's are left on the beach then I feel we could witness a dramatic
decrease in diving-related accidents. My thoughts. Yours are welcomed.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]