Re: My remarks..

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Randy on September 23, 2000 at 16:16:44:

In Reply to: My remarks.. posted by Cancer on September 21, 2000 at 13:20:42:

you are close enough in the way you put it. That tenet is not just stressed in diving, but i've learned/heard this same idea taught in many other high risk activities i've done. Hiking/Backpacking, mountain climbing, kyaking, skydiving and others. Always work at the level of the least skilled, listen to those more skilled and learn from them, and be a willing teacher of those less expierianced. Frank made a statement about being a lone diver among a group. I like the way you put that. While I have dove as "a single" off a boat full of other divers, I've never gone out alone. And yes, I've gotten into trouble once this way while playing tag with a seal. got tied up bad in some kelp, looked around and no one was there to help.That was a very lonely feeling, and I did have a breif moment of panic. When I my training and exprience kicked in, and I did what I was taught. In another post MHK said that people who dive solo have the attitude of "it can't happen to me". Well, that's not true for all of us. As a kid, I almost drown several times. I've been in trouble alone and with partners. I've assisted others in distress, both as their buddy, and as someone who happen to be there and be willing to act. On my third dive ever back in 1970 I got to rescue persons buddy while several others just sat and watched. I know what can happen, and I know it can happen to me, wheather I'm scuba diving or sky diving. wheather I'm diving with a buddy or as a single. I know my chances are better with a buddy that's willing and able to help then to be alone. I also believe I'm better off alone then with a buddy like I had two weeks ago that abandoned me three times. At least when I dive single, I know I'm single. I love to take newbies, they are generaly very attentive and tend not to stray too far. And I'll a take an old timer that wants to be a buddy anytime. I do perfer going diving with someone else. more eyes to see things I may otherwise miss. my two dollors worth.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]