Re: "Independent" diving

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ken Kurtis on September 25, 2000 at 22:22:25:

In Reply to: Re: It is not solo diving per se that kills, it is attitude. posted by Frank, AADIVER, Farmer on September 25, 2000 at 18:26:03:

(Frank Farmer posted) I have never in 36 years of active diving, world-wide, dove totally solo. I dive independently with other groups of divers, primarily on shipwrecks.

I'll start by stating that this is NOT intended as a flame, Frank, but I think that what you're doing might be even more risky than solo diving.

First of all, you're the only person I've ever heard mention "independent" diving. In a discussion I had with Karl Huggins, Director of the Catalina chamber, today (see more detail in a seperate thread), he said from their perspective on the accident reports, divers are classified as buddy, solo, or buddy seperation.

The reason I think I think yours could be a dangerous mindset is that when you're solo diving, you KNOW that if anything bad happens, you're on your own. Hopefully, you start the dive mentally prepared to deal, by yourself, with any calamity that may befall you. (Whether or not that's a GOOD decision is not the point here.)

However it seems to me that what you're saying is that you're diving alone, but there are other divers around, and if there's a problem, they'll come to your aid (which is why you seem to define this as non-solo).

Yet if you're "indepednent" of them, then who';s going to be watching you and why will they be watching in the first place since you'rte not partof their buddy team?

Its seems to me you think you're solo until a problem happens and then these other group members diving the same wreck will magically spot your problem and come to your aid if needed.

If we accept Eins' contention that complacency kills (and I'd even add that good divers make bad decisions that get them in trouble), then it just seems to me, despite your success record of 36 years, that you're setting yourself up for disaster because the one time you will need someone's aid, the people who you expect to provide it will not be paying attention to your plight since you're "indepenedent."

Seems confusing, if not indeed dangerous, to me and I'd be interested in hearing some clarification from you if you'd care to. (Maybe a seperate thread, even.)

Ken Kurtis
NAUI Instr. #5936
Co-owner, Reef Seekers Dive Co.
Beverly Hills, Ca.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]