Re: scallop gathering...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chris on September 27, 2000 at 23:42:58:

In Reply to: scallop gathering... posted by kelphead on September 27, 2000 at 23:16:20:

Yes you need a fishing license with ocean enhancement stamp.
I recommend a resident ocean only.
I usually get mine at Big 5 sporting goods.
The same license is also good for taking fish, crabs, and lobster.

The limit is ten per day.

I prefer to cut them out of the shell in place, by inserting the knife and cutting against one side of the shell until the muscle is free, then cutting against the other side until the muscle is completely free. I then remove the meat with the back side of the knife.
I normally use a dive knife with about a 10 inch one edge blade.

Some people prefer taking the shell too. A big scallop shell can weigh several pounds, thus ten can be a large load.
To take the shells to you need a pry bar.
I have an old Stainless Steel Ab iron for this.


Follow Ups:

Post a Followup




[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]