Re: Generic DIR overview

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chris on September 28, 2000 at 13:14:36:

In Reply to: Re: Generic DIR overview posted by Jim Hoffmann on September 28, 2000 at 10:59:49:

Jim, I do not use a Seatec backpack, but one that is similar.
If you compare the offset on a back plate for the bolts plus the additional single tank adapter offset, you will find the tank actually sits closer to your back with and old fashioned back pack. I own both configurations, and have many hundreds of dives using both.
For doubles a tech back plate is superior to any other set up because the tanks sit against a flat section of the plate against your back, not like a single tank, which is attached protruding adapter that protrudes from the protruding bolt slot in the middle of the backplate.

Jim, old technology is often better, that is why it remains in use. Diving technology is supposedly "improved" every year with the introduction of new products. This is for the most part just marketing hype used to sell more gear.
I understand you have a vested interest in selling new gear, but just because it is new, does not make it better, especially for every situation. There are numerous examples where older is better. For Example, Scubapro Jet fins and IDI Frog Feet are better fins than any thing else on the market, including the latest split fin fad.

For a recreational diver, who never intends to do tech dives or use doubles, it is very difficult to justify the price of a tech back plate & wings, especially when a Seatec backpack and wings can be had for $229.
D rings are easily added to this, just as with a tech back plate.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]