A message to Gerry Smith regarding kayaks

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Eric Sedletzky on October 01, 2000 at 20:34:44:

I read the thread about dive kayaks a ways back and wanted to give you some info on this subject on the top of the board where you would see it.
I am currently building a 18'3" Pacific Dory from full size plans that I ordered from Glen-L Marine Designs in Bellflower, Ca. I plan on setting up this boat exclusively for diving with tank holders, swim step, the works. In the Glen-L catalog I have seen many plans for kayaks of all sorts. Yes, plywood is very strong, especially when reinforced with fiberglass and marine epoxy resin, which is three times stronger than standard polyester resin. You could also use luxury materials such as exotic hardwood marine plywood and leave the natural wood ( under your transparent fiberglass of course) for an exotic look. Or, you could use Kevlar or carbon fiber cloths for your construction and you would have a war horse of a kayak. The nice thing about building your own is that you can set it up anyway you want with hatches where you want them, a back rest that fits you, and they are also easily repairable. However, they are going to be heavier than commercially manufactured polypropelene kayaks.
One other thing I should mention for those of you reading this that don't necessarily care to much for paddling. Glen-L has plans for an electric powered kayak that looks kind of cool. It uses a Minnkota electric trolling motor that you have to modify in height, and it has a sealed battery compartment/hatch towards the back. The controls are up front, and all the cables for steering etc., are strung through the inside of the boat. I don't think anybody is making anything like this commercially?
Many people ask me "why do you waste so much time building boats when you can just go out and buy one", and my answer is "bacause I can build it the way I want it all out of pocket little by little and owe no one when I'm done,.. including the trailer".

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]