OKAY, here we go!!!!! ;-)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MHK on October 04, 2000 at 15:58:16:

In Reply to: Water compressibility minutia posted by Wayne on October 04, 2000 at 15:36:02:

Actually you are correct. Water does in fact compress but at very small, almost non measureable quantities...

The compression is virtually constant over small ranges of tempature and pressure such that the compressibilty and expansion coefficents depend inversly on pressure and tempature.

I'll be happy to provide the thermal coefficents and the formulas to anyone who has enough time on there hands to work through them.

I mentioned in an earlier post to EINS about the isothermic compressibilty which in pertinent part states that * under pressure and tempature changes, ALL matter undergoes expansion and compression. It is this very coefficent of volume change and pressure change that would cause a *crushed* or *copmressed* neoprene suit to compress.

As I stated, to the extent there is a constant tempature you would use the isothermic formulas, to the extent there is a change in tempature you would use the cubical expansion theory...

Why does this mean anything to anyone except those of us without lives ;-)..

Serioulsy, wetsuit compression ( forget my and EINS bet for a minute) can be calculated pretty precisely, but more importantly it is these theories that provide for the regulator function providing for compressed air to be deliever to our lungs at depth. Absent this compensation for depths changes the metabolic consumption rate of a diver would mean that a diver would receive more air at depth than his lungs could handle...

Fun stuff isn't it ;-)

PS..

When the hell is Chris going to get spell check????? ;-)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]