Re: PADI sells out, yet again...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Other Ben on October 16, 2000 at 17:12:18:

In Reply to: PADI sells out, yet again... posted by MHK on October 16, 2000 at 12:09:04:

Personally, I don't see any problem with letting a diver ENTER a DM program with only 20 dives.
Training is never a bad idea, and if someone can complete the prerequisites in 20 dives to enter
the DM program, then great. Perhaps some of the DM training is lost on someone with such inexperience,
however, how many of you DMs out there can remember everything you learned anyway? The value is in
the training combined with the experience, and as long as you have both in sufficient quantity and quality,
then you should be alright. I think an arguement can be made over how many dives it takes to actually BECOME
a DM (60 may be too few) but not over when it's ok to begin training. In fact, in a lot of ways it makes
more sense to begin training long before you're ready to assume the responsibilities of the position you are
training for. None of this is to say that I don't agree with your position on PADI in general. I just think
the logic of this particular argument is flawed. Or maybe I'm just playing Devil's advocate... :)
-OB

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]