Re: Huh? With all due respect,

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by brianc on October 17, 2000 at 09:00:51:

In Reply to: Huh? With all due respect, posted by Eins on October 16, 2000 at 16:42:40:

I guess that I read the original post at a time that I was feeling sensitive to the issue. I'm spending every weekend and some weekday evenings with students over about a two month period. On top of my 50 + hr/wk job. (My DM work is strictly volunteer - I enjoy teaching.) I had just spent 3 hours the previous night working one on one with an OW student in the pool. He is getting certified before a vacaction in Belize, so he has a deadline. He started the evening being panicy. By the end of the session he had fin pivots, mask removal/replacement, and CESA down. Still he needed more practice. He, the instructor and I agreed that he was not ready to go to the ocean this weekend with the rest of the class. He's going to do at least a couple more pool sessions, then be evaluated on all skills again. In the previous couple of weeks our Course Director had told one diver that he was not ready to start instructor training and refused to accept another into DM training. So I was feeling that we were doing a good job of keeping high standards at the local level.

I read MHK's original post with the strictest possible interpretation. I think we worked it through.

Thanks for keeping me on my toes though. I realized that I'm tried. I'm taking the next few nights off at home.

Let me know how the Pt. Lobos dives go. I'll be there two weeks after you.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]