Re: Plug-in unavailable

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by JRM on October 20, 2000 at 10:23:20:

In Reply to: Re: Plug-in unavailable posted by Frank, AADIVER, Farmer on October 19, 2000 at 22:48:58:

Actually, whatever program you used to create that page did an oops. It uses an obscure questionable call to play whatever music you were shooting for. However, those folks who don't use Microsoft or Apple products (or who have software that actually *conforms* to the standards) are left in the lurch. So when that function you call to play music starts, it uses a similar syntax to a plug-in call. My browser properly intereprets the fact that I don't have the ability to play whatever file your sending, and kicks me into a "download plugin" page.

I have it configured *not* to play the cheesy music most people have on their pages, because I find it annoying. Your HTML editor just tries to play your music file in a interesting way.

I wanted to check out your site, so I ended up using a MS Windows box, and it worked OK.

Oh, and btw, the reason my system couldn't download the simple URL in this message is because of a type you made :-)

Just out of curiousity, what program did you use to make that page?

JRM

--in the real world my job title is "Extranet Administrator." I am responsible for the Internet infrastructure for a small company. Our combined web traffic is somewhat more than the WWF, and about 1/5 of what MTV gets (about a million different people each month). I may not know much about diving, but I do have a small understanding of Internet related stuff :-), having been through four different Internet startups :-).

--Sorry, I just couldn't help myself. It's a stupid habit, but I love taking poke shots at Big Brother and his software :-)

Oh, and I managed to get the afternoon off to come down and attend the Wreck Diver's meeting on Wed. I joined a couple of months ago, but haven't been able to go yet. Given our current workload, I give myself a 50-50 chance of actually making it. I hope to see you there!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]