Re: Drysuit feedback

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kendall Raine on October 27, 2000 at 13:30:21:

In Reply to: Drysuit feedback posted by divefiend on October 27, 2000 at 09:01:30:

I have used a DUI CF200 for the last 7 years and love it. It does not have a foot valve. I have not used either of the brands you mentioned, but would never dive a suit with a foot/ankle valve. Even if the foot value is adjustable, which I don't think it is, such a contrivance is poorly thought out. It was created as a crutch for those who are afraid of getting in an uncontrolled feet up buoyant situation-avoiding this sort of problem is really easy to start with. Furthermore, you want to generally be in a posture where your feet are about level with your head. Having a valve which you can't easily reach dumping gas at all the wrong times is bound a play havoc with your trim. This will in turn cause you to work harder and use more inflation gas. This is espeacially true for bug hunters-who get inverted a lot, and people on long decos where you get inverted to put warm inflation gas into your feet to keep them warm. Finally, positioned on the foot/ankle, such a valve is more exposed to sand and crud which can get under the diaphram and cause the thing to leak. Avoid it.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]