Great White Sighting Report

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dino on October 30, 2000 at 16:37:18:

I getting was on the swim step of the Bottom Scratcher with a bleeding Sheepshead Sunday morning at about 10:30 when I heard my freediving buddy yelling "White Shark" from the rocks near the blowhole just north of the quarry at Catalina. I had swam on my back with that fish hanging off my weightbelt no less than 45 seconds ago. According to my buddy the shark was about 12 feet long and didn't really act aggressively. When he got a pickup off the rocks the captain told him the Horizon had call over on the radio to tell us (they were at the quarry) that a few divers that they had aboard had also seen it while diving.

Here is the note about from the Horizon website:

Day 3 0f 3 with the Dive Animals Dive Club
Aloha from Catalina Island! After a smooth passage back from Santa Barbara Island last night we enjoyed beautiful conditions diving Crane Point at the Rock Quarry this morning. Large schools of blacksmith, calico bass and half-moons were everywhere with large bat rays to boot. The most exciting part was when six of our divers spotted a small 12 foot white shark cruising by. Quite a thrill to see one up close and personal. Deciding to make a move, we enjoyed the rest of the day at Hen Rock being teased by the very large bugs just out of reach in the huge rock piles. Fortunately whitey didn't follow our move. All in all a great 3 days of diving, Southern Channel Islands at their best. See you in the water! Capt. Ron Martin.

Also, there are some more comments about whites (maybe the same white) in the same area here:

http://www.sharkin.com/post/messages/1318.html

Anybody else got any stories about this white or others in the same area?

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]