But you can see why I fear the CULT of DIR.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Wayne on November 02, 2000 at 17:01:06:

In Reply to: Wayne, I wish I had your coolness posted by Eins on November 01, 2000 at 23:39:00:

DIR as it is practiced in these parts is not just a method of planning and executing dives, it is a religion with its own high self-ordained priests. We, the infidels of the great unwashed short regulator hose, are ridiculed and demeaned by the fanatics of their cause.

Frankly I think there is a great deal of good that comes from the tech and cave diving worlds, but it simply is not the ONLY way to dive. Years ago I raced motorcycles and the safety equipment I used could have been worn on the street, but none of us racers tried to force street riders to wear the same gear in the same fashion as we did in races. We understood the differences between the activities and the risks. I see DIR in a similar light except they call us 'strokes' and ridicule us because we are not one of "them".

My take on it is that they do not want us to join them because their difference is what makes them special in their own eyes. They just want us to respect them as much as they respect themselves. I have lived a life of tolerance and most divers do also. I tolerate the DIR zealots, but am growing extreamly tired of them. They want us to believe that they have some mystical power and knowledge, but when their facts or conclusions are challenged, they move into character assination mode. This is not the first time this happened, nor is it the last we will see. Look at the name calling that continues to go on in our discussions. JW calls a frequent poster "kelpy" in an obviously insulting and demeaning way. This is the same situation where the cult member attacks the non-believer.

It is sad that people in leadership positions in the dive community (Dive Masters and Instructors in particular) have to tear others down to make themselves feel elevated. Divers who are comfortable with themselves recognize it for what it is, but the guilty never see.

My hope is that the fad of DIR will quietly fade away and its applicable aspects will filter into mainstream diving. We do not need titles or designations to set ourselves above others. We need to strive to be at the same level by bringing others up to our level. This is leadership. It is inclusive. It inspires others to emulate and follow. The recent tone of discussion has degenerated and severely damaged the DIR movement and diving in general. Imagine what a total newbie would think if (s)he read this stuff! Would they want to associate with us? Fortunately the real world of diving is different and the divers I meet are fun, happy, and interesting. I hope the newbies see this. And as for mentors, I sincerely hope that the mentoring is done by those who respect the ocean and all life within -- including divers.

Wayne

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]