PUBLIC APOLOGY TO MICHAEL KANE

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ken Kurtis on November 02, 2000 at 18:15:14:

I would like to take a moment to publicly apologize to Michael Kane (aka MHK) as I am probably the one who raised the stakes between Mike and Frank Farmer.

Frank e-mailed me privately asking why Micahel had a thing against him. I replied to Frank that Michael certainly had strongly-held opinions and was not shy about expressing them. And I also said that Frank (IMHO) invited some of the abuse with his posts. I sent that e-mail to Frank.

Then I saw the post that got Frank going where he copied the post made on the other board with the reference to ". . . our new buffon is in his 60's and has been in and out of alcohol and drug rehab . . ."

After reading that, I sent another reply to Frank and said, "You can always try to find a personal injury lawyer who will take your case and sue him for either intentional infliction of emotional duress, or slander, or whatever. But that's bound to be an ugly road should you choose to go down it. But like I said, I firmly believe that people should be held accountable for the things they say so make him put up or shut up (and pay out)."

That was wrong. I should not have said that. I am truly sorry.

I think it also may have been mean-spirited on my part and for that, I'm a bit ashamed. Though Michael and I certainly don't agree on the non-recreational aspects of diving, it has always been an agree-to-disagree (sometimes quite publicly) approach.

But never has Michael given me cause to feel that I had to "get" him. He has even defended my right to take positions he finds distasteful or wrong, even though he doesn't agree with the positions. (Hate the sin but love the sinner???) And much as I may wish he hadn't connected Frank's personal background to his diving stlye, what I did in my private advice Frank was out of line.

Again, to Michael, my sincerest apolgies.

Diving is this fabulous, beautiful sport. It offers all of us untold joy, beauty, and serenity. I am constantly amazed and appalled at the anger and hatred that those who passionately enjoy such a gentle sport can spew forth (not so much here but certainly on rec.scuba and other boards - and this is not directed at Michael or Frank).

My comments to Frank were like throwing gasoline on an already raging inferno. I have diminished myself for it.

Ken Kurtis
NAUI Instr. #5936
Co-owner, Reef Seekers Dive Co.
Beverly Hills, Ca.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]