"My way", for the last time.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Frank, AADIVER, Farmer on November 02, 2000 at 23:14:52:

In case anyone hasn't read my post explaining what I mean by independent diving, here it is one mo' (and last) time:

In the last few days I have been inundated with e-mails requesting, demanding, pleading for me to explain what I mean by diving "my way".
Although it's nobody's business but my own, it does touch on the issue of responsible posting on issues as serious as diving safety. So here it is: since co-founding California Wreck Divers in 1971 my diving has been exclusively devoted to discovering, recovering, restoring, and displaying artifacts from shipwrecks, world-wide. For me this requires total concentration on myself, my gear, the wreck, and the hunt. (Not unlike bug diving.) This also requires me to be totally self-sufficient in my independent quest. Occasionally I'll depend on a co-wreck diver to assist me in recovery and vice versa. Does my diving procedure put me at potential risk? Of course, but it's a risk I'm willing and able to take. Would I dive totally solo on a wreck? No. Would I dive deeper than 100 fsw for potential artifacts? No. Would I extend my bottom time into stage decompression? Only if the chamber was on the boat. Would I venture into trimix or rebreathers? Not at my age.
This should indicate to one and all that my diving routine is disciplined. I have rules and I follow them. I'm sometimes confused with a tech diver: 7 hoses (BC, console, dry suit, lift bag inflator, primary reg, pony reg, pony SPG), plus a large tool bag with tools-of-the-trade, two lift bags, an inflatable sausage, two knives, two torches, an ascent reel and a penetration reel, and two computers. I know where all this shit is but a buddy wouldn't have a clue.
Now, please, no more bugging me about "my way". Thank you, and dive YOUR way, not mine.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]