Re: how to make safety stop in current

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kendall Raine on November 06, 2000 at 11:10:52:

In Reply to: how to make safety stop in current posted by roughy on November 03, 2000 at 12:47:53:

roughy;

Couple of thoughts. If you're on the anchor line, a jon line (named for NE wreck diver Jon Hulbert) works well. I know MHK and others use a gap reel, but I prefer my heavier jon line. I carry the thing anyway as it doubles as a means to secure my deco bottles to a wreck or to tie in an anchor to a wreck. Mine is 1/4" nylon line about 7' in length with an eye splice at one and and a bolt snap shackle spliced into the other. I can clip it into a big loop for short stops or run it through the eye splice and cinch it on the anchor line for longer stops. Whether you use one like mine or use a gap reel, using one makes for a much easier time on the hang and prevents you from wrenching your shoulder-a good way to take a DCS hit.

If I don't have an anchor line or piece of kelp to hang onto, and I can't maintain station with only moderate kicking because the current's too strong, I'll send up a surface marker and go with the current. Better that than cutting your safety stop short or busting ass and building up too much CO2.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]