Re: DIR question +

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Eins on November 12, 2000 at 09:09:09:

In Reply to: DIR question posted by Frank on November 12, 2000 at 07:44:41:

Frank,
I didn't get the impression that "DIR threads suggest that the DIR system should be mandated for ALL divers". Certainly not mandated, and also not for the very entry levels. But that is (a) just MHO and (b) in a context of a holistic DIR approach. Like MB suggests, there are elements in DIR that more than lend themselves to be introduced in the very first levels of diving. I'd even go further than Max and include the backplate & harness BC as a *recommended* (not mandated) first BC. But this is just the hardware.
Much more relevant to the novice level is the software of DIR. Introducing the preparedness thinking that is part of DIR makes a whole lot of sense to *mandate* in entry level certifications. Benign tropical waters? I got into a very serious and life threatening situation once, in "benign" tropical waters. It was an unexpected current that screwed up my air management. Better fitness and more adherance to THE or A modified rule of thirds could have prevented me from almost being flushed away with an SPG reading zero.

WRT the dedication of this generation's divers--I believe it is part of this day and age where thrill seaking is the name of the game and scuba diving surely promises some thrills. Only the true scuba aficionado will stick with the sport, the thrill seakers will move on to the next.

Eins

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]