Re: Answers to DIR question

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MHK on November 14, 2000 at 10:54:01:

In Reply to: Answers to DIR question posted by Frank on November 13, 2000 at 22:21:29:

Posted by Frank on November 13, 2000 at 22:21:29:

As to non-ditchable weights, that flies in the face of the 13th commandment of sport diving: thou shalt drop thine weights and let thine buddy assist controlling buoyancy by venting thine BC on ascent. Non-ditchable is strictly for advanced technical procedures, IMHO.
I think the point's been made that DIR need not be an all or nothing at all dicipline.

I've taken a fair mount of heat for the solo -v- buddy diving issue, so I'm wondering that since the 13th commandment speaks to the buddy helping in the venting process, why isn't he helping with donating air, or using his inflation source and are you suggesting that if you are solo than you need to alter your weights differently than if you are buddies up???

This whole position doesn't make much sense to me and FTR, we disagree that DIR isn't all or nothing.. We believe that it is a holostic system that can't be piecemealed and still called DIR.. If you only want to take certain elements of course that's your perogative, but DIR is what it is and personal preferences and teking only the parts that you want aren't part of the package.. I still haven't seen anything that you point out that is done differently that is better or safer IMHO...

Later

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]