Re: . . . certifying children

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by JR Gordon on November 17, 2000 at 14:51:24:

In Reply to: Re: . . . certifying children posted by Ken Kurtis on November 17, 2000 at 12:55:34:

Ken I couldn't agree with you more on this issue. It is strictly an issue of the individual. I've seen some absolutely great kids that listen, do proper pre-dive check lists on their own, and dive like old timers. Of course I've seen some similar to the one brianc was stuck with. I'll bet though that you could make a realistic prediction of the kids learning abilities just by watching his parents, but that's another Oprah.

You've met my son who just turned 18. With caution and hesitancy I certified him at 12 with a trusted instructor friend and he handled it really well. My son now has almost 300 dives including cave and tri-mix and I consider him a competent and capable diver.

My daughter who is now 16, certified at 13 with class & pool work here, cert.dives in Akumal. She too had wonderful and caring instructors and I think that makes a really big difference. I'm confident of her diving abilities and attitude.

As Ken stated previously, it's up to the individual whether age 12 or 30. It always about attitude. I'd hate to see even 1 kid not given the opportunity to learn scuba because of the behavior of others. That's simply not fair.

JRG

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]