Re: Ditchable -v- Non Ditchable weights

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Gerry on November 18, 2000 at 10:10:40:

In Reply to: Re: Ditchable -v- Non Ditchable weights posted by Kendall Raine on November 16, 2000 at 18:34:24:

Kendall,

Two days with no reply. I thought you guys had quit the field in awe of my impeccable logic! Wishful thinking I guess.

Mike argued that the non-ditchable weight had safety value in avoiding a rapid ascent, now you say the purpose is trim. I’ve no problem with trim weights; but a working system for ditchable trim weights has been around a long time (DUI, At-pac, shot plugs and the like.) My point – at the risk of sounding shrill because I have to keep repeating it – is with weight that cannot be dropped is an unnecessary risk for an OW diver. Wear all the weight you need, wherever you need it, just be able to ditch it.

This exchange points out what IMO is the biggest danger with DIR. By letting someone else do your thinking for you, you find yourself in the absolutely untenable position of claiming a benefit from permanently attached weights.

I wait with interest to see what GUE comes up with for OW divers. If it is as doctrinaire as it has been up to now, I think it will fade fairly quickly.

Good discussion,

Gerry

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]