RE: Force Fins

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Eins on November 20, 2000 at 23:28:57:

In Reply to: Re: Now for a really dumb question posted by MHK on November 20, 2000 at 15:37:19:

MHK,
Now I finally understand your reasons against Force Fins.

>>Have you ever tried to frog kick 1,500'+ into a cave using force fins???

No. I don't do caves.

>>Or have you ever tried to frog while penetrating a silty wreck????

No, I don't penetrate silty wrecks either.

>>I find the force fin is only good for people with poor kicking techniques who tend to bicycle kick and the fin compensates for poor skills.

I found something different. After 8 years of diving my ScubaPro paddle fins with a correct kick (they propelled me just fine and worked well on my tropical dives, but the foot pocket was too tight and doffing them on a SoCal surgy dive platform was a big pain in the ass), I decided I want a fin that fits my foot better. I gave the Force Fin a try (actually, several dives trial) and came to decide that they propel me just as well, with less effort, and a great foot pocket. I gave them a chance, and I won.

If I ever want to do caves and wrecks, I'll just have to go back to a paddle fin. Simple as that. But I don't condemn them.

>>I find the force fin is only good for people with poor kicking techniques who tend to bicycle kick and the fin compensates for poor skills.

I don't think so. Au contraire. I think people who condemn the Force Fin with arguments like you have either never tried them or not long enough. Yes, they do require a different kick--a higher cadence flutter kick. That's not a bicycle kick.

Their toy look certainly does not help them being accepted by divers with a complex. No personal offense intended.

Eins

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]