Re: Up-front consumer education

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by brianc on November 21, 2000 at 15:52:50:

In Reply to: Re: Up-front consumer education posted by kelphead on November 21, 2000 at 15:19:04:

An interesting thought.

BTW. I was a graduate Research Assistant at UC Davis when the grad students at UC Berkeley first started talking about organizing. That effort largely was due to the working conditions of graduate Teaching Assistants. Thank God I wasn't a TA. Compared to them I had a sweet deal. One thing in common with that situation and the one many dive pro's work with is the strong mentoring relationship with instructors and course directors. At least that's how it should be. I am fortunate that such is the case in my situation. The IDC that I DM through is not a big profit center. The people there just love diving and teaching diving. I particpate as a volunteer. The shop does what it can - free fills, covering lodging when possible, deals on gear, etc. The people there are my friends and teachers. I would not join in any effort that might harm them.

I think that the solution needs to be done at a level that has an affect across the industry. Of course, the legal issue of price fixing would have to be considered. I am convinced, though, that a job action that demands more money from local shops that are not making money as it is would just drive the local dive centers out of business. That would leave us with only the large chains. That's not a situation that I would enjoy.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]