Re: Are minor BC alterations okay??

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ken Kurtis on November 27, 2000 at 20:33:37:

In Reply to: Are minor BC alterations okay?? posted by mattschechter on November 27, 2000 at 18:15:43:

(Matt Schechter asked)I have a new used BC that I am thining of making some minor adjustments to (snip).

The stuff you are doing sounds like it should be fine and you already seem aware of staying away from the bladder. (Puncture it and it can be big $$$ to fix or replace.)

Not sure why you feel you need a crotch strap. If (and it's a big "if") it's a jacket-style BC and the cummerbund is too small, it should still fit snugly. A crotch strap on that style BC should only be needed if the BC was too big. (But, to each his own. Just remember to put your weights on last, OVER the crotch strap.)

My bigger question/concern is why you're buying gear that seemingly doesn't fit right. If you bought this from a shop, I would have hoped that they would have given you better "fit" advice. If you bought it from an individual, then it's "buyer beware".

But if it doesn't really fit too well ("fit" and "comfort" being the two most important qualities when choosing ANY gear), you may find in the long run that it's going to be something you'll want to replace, which you may find negates whatever money you saved with the purchase.

Ken Kurtis
NAUI Instr. #5936
Co-owner, Reef Seekers Dive Co. (where we take gear trade-ins - shameless plug)
Beverly Hills, Ca.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]