Re: Are minor BC alterations okay??-First ask Why?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kendall Raine on November 28, 2000 at 08:50:01:

In Reply to: Are minor BC alterations okay?? posted by mattschechter on November 27, 2000 at 18:15:43:

Matt;

First, of course you should be asking. That's why the board exists. Second, I suggest you think through why you need to modify your gear. Is it because the gear doesn't fit to your satisfaction? Your modifications sound like this is the case. If so, why not get the right gear to start with? If it's because the BC simply isn't designed to your satisfaction-with which I can sympathize-then why? Lot's of people modify or customize their gear. Some of the changes make sense. Some don't. Most are harmless, as your may be, but some are dangerous or at least not well thought-out. Also, the equipment manufacturers annually produce bells and whistles which are frequently poorly conceived and sometimes poorly made. Most are junk, IMO, designed to pander to "gadgetitus." I guess the bottom line is you really shouldn't need to modify the gear if it was designed right to start with and if it fits. Two big "if's," I know. But you'll enjoy your diving a lot more if you start with the correct equipment. I won't proselytize on the board, but send me a private e-mail if you want to discuss specifics.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]