skin in suits

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chris on November 30, 2000 at 18:10:05:

In Reply to: Henderson Wetsuit posted by Klaus on November 29, 2000 at 23:44:37:

The skin in material used by Henderson is the same skin in material used by other wetsuit manufacturers. The only difference is that Henderson has an exclusive on the gold color.
I have several full custom AquaFlite wetsuits made from their Oceanliner skin in material.
The skin in material is much warmer, because water does not flush thought the suit. It in effect is one giant seal against you skin.
It has many advantages including drying very quickly in the inside when you take it off. I also find it easier to put on. Although the wetsuit makers like to say you do not need to lube the modern material, I find that a solution of 1/3 hair conditioner and 2/3 water sprayed inside the suit makes it slide on almost effortlessly.
The disadvantage of the skin in material is that when you pee in your suit during a dive, it remains with you, since the suit does not flush. The skin in material is also more prone to cuts and tears, however it very easy to patch, skin to skin, almost like patching an inner tube.
In buying a suit, unless an off the shelf suit fits you perfectly, I would recommend a full custom suit from a manufacturer such as AquaFlite. The outstanding fit helps the suit be more comfortable, and be warmer as well. A suit that is too tight will not be warm because it will cut off circulation in the skin.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]