Read the book!!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by JRM on December 10, 2000 at 15:27:29:

In Reply to: IMMERSED article posted by AADIVER on December 09, 2000 at 19:10:43:

I finished mine last week. Couldn't put it down, literally. And the author really didn't stress the cost issue. He didn't gloss it over, but it wasn't a major theme.

And I hate to be the one to tell you this, but SCUBA is a sport only for the wealthy. Or those who live in denial in the land of credit, but that's another thread entirely. First, it takes disposable income. Even rec sport gear is expensive. And trips are expensive. Especially if you have a multi-diver household. I figure it costs between $300-$350 per dive boat trip (one day) for my wife and I to go, between the boat, food, air, transportation, and gear amortization. At one trip per month, my diving expenses equal my transportation. At two trips per month, they equate to my housing costs (the one good thing about living in the armpit of CA, a nice house for *real* cheap). Even a trip to Monterey costs about $200, without lodging (I stay with a friend in Hollister). That's serious money to most folks. A boat and a Monterey trip per month (not unreasonable, that's what we are trying to average, although some months it's two) is $500 per month. That's recreational SCUBA, owning all our own gear, and upgrading a bit at a time. We don't dive Nitrox, deep, OE, or any of that other good stuff. I can't imagine what that costs.

So, is that necessarily a bad thing? I think that on some level it can be argued that everyone should be able to enjoy the underwater realm regardless of socio-economic status. There also is much to be said for the very capitalistic idea of "rewards for success". In the interest of flame control I'll leave each to ponder that on their own. But the reality of SCUBA is that only the wealthy can play. I imagine it has been that way, and probably will always be that way.

Of course, if we really want to get philosophical let's look at the fact that even the poorest people in America have TV's, VCR's, indoor plumbing, etc.

And, to be honest, I consider anyone with disposable income "wealthy". I think it's a good definition, monetarily. And now that I am among those ranks, things are good. The costs of diving don't bother me. Not that I wish things weren't pricey, but when it comes to my life I don't mind paying a bit extra. I always thought it was funny that people bought the cheapy climbing ropes. My life and peace of mind isn't worth saving $20.

JRM

--Hmm, not really sure what I did here. Must be a result of being trapped at work on a Beautiful Sunday afternoon in a Death March project when I should be out diving. Oh well. Guess I'm putting in the time so I can enjoy "this sport of kings" :-)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]