Re: A thought on hunting (Sheephead)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Timotheus on December 11, 2000 at 15:34:43:

In Reply to: Re: A thought on hunting (Sheephead) posted by Chris on December 08, 2000 at 15:40:24:

I was shooting video at Big Gieger a few years ago, holding motionless near the bottom, and this cute pink Sheephead swims right up to the lens and fills the whole screen. Folks told me she saw herself in the lens. Anyway, I get back on the boat and this guy walks over to the cleaning board with three sheephead that looked exactly like the one I videoed a few minutes earlier. Couldn't help wondering if one of those was the same fish.

I'm a bit of a hypocrite though - in my wild teen years I also speared fish - mostly perch and corbina. One day at King Harbor breakwater (back in the old days when you could dive off the little inner breakwater north of the horseshoe pier), this 3' sheephead came out of nowhere and I went after it. It was the biggest thing I saw except for a BSB in Lunada Bay. The sheephead got away, but in my heart I wanted to shoot it to have a trophy to show my friends.

I wouldn't have any problem with shooting the faster growing fish like WSBs and yellowtail.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]