Re: high tech diving

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Eins on December 13, 2000 at 21:58:04:

In Reply to: Re: individual requirements posted by AADIVER on December 12, 2000 at 22:37:24:

Frank,
Haven't heard of high tech diving and I assume you mean technical diving.

I'm certainly not the spokesman for tech diving, but fact is that less drag is preferrable. Please be aware that--while extra gear and tool bags may add drag--any omitted gear element that also reduces drag will help. In other words, even with all the extra drag-producing gear a tech diver needs, s/he will have less drag if s/he avoids a "gear organizer type" BC vs. a harness type where there is nothing on your chest but streamlined webbing. And I think that was the original question of this sub-thread.

That being said, tech diving can very well be long-distance diving. Just imagine penetrating a cave without DPV, or diving a large wreck where distances have to be covered and currents are the norm.

WRT your bottom line "we should dive the gear we're most comfortable and secure with, regardless the degree of drag" I would want to modify that into "we should dive the gear we are most secure with that also creates the least amount of drag."

9I think to be secure, you also have to be comfortable with it.)

Eins

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]