Re: Ascent rate question for MHK and TLEEMAY

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MHK on December 19, 2000 at 18:18:49:

In Reply to: Ascent rate question for MHK and TLEEMAY posted by AADIVER on December 19, 2000 at 13:26:07:

Frank,

While we do not use computers, as you saw, we do use depth gauges.. I use the UWATEC so we therefore have a handle on our ascent times..

Depending on the depth ( and I'll preference the answer on recreational dives) 60 fpm is the recomended ascent rate. Bear in mind, of course, we build deep stops into our deeper stuff, but to the extent that we dive shallow ( ie; recreational profiles) we still build 20 second stops into our ascent..

As you know, we only dive Nitrox up tp 100', from 100' and deeper we always add Helium to our gases..

I have previously posted that the Buhlman models, in essence, bend you deep and then clear you up at 15' fro 3 minutes.. I have been a strong proponent of the Weinke RGBM model..

It is important in my view to recognize advances for what they are.. The Buhlman/Workman models were developed in the late 50's and the early 60's, and while they have served us well up until this point I feel strongly the sense of embracing new technology..

For years and years the recreational community ignored the benefits of Nitrox, despite the fact that commercial and military diver's had been diving it successfully for years.

What I now see is the same futile resistance with respect to Helium.. Once the masses learn of the benefits you will see a much more widely acknowledged acceptance..

Hope that helps..

BTW, great diving with you this weekend..

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]