Re: Abyss-Explorer Deco Computer?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kendall Raine on December 20, 2000 at 17:12:19:

In Reply to: Abyss-Explorer Deco Computer? posted by AADIVER on December 20, 2000 at 14:49:40:

Frank;

No one knows about the Explorer for sure since they've still not been shipped. Pro's seem to me in the multi-level dive profile environment where the potential deco savings over a custom deco schedule are realized. Cons are since most of my tech dives are square profiles, the utility of the Explorer is somewhat limited for me. In fact, I'd venture to say that the whole concept of a multi-gas computer with the capabilities (reportedly) of the Explorer is really only applicable to a deep mixed gas wall dive (e.g Matterhorn) wherein you didn't want to commit to certain profile in advance. Since planning the dive in advance is critical to getting the gas mixes/quantities, support personnel and other factors correct, there really is a limited set of dive profiles for which the Explorer is better than a pre-cut schedule. I suppose you could make a case for using it in cave exploration where you didn't know where the cave would take you, but you would still have all the planning challenges unless you where using CCR and had laid in extra deco stages and scooters for a longer/deeper dive than planned. It's the basic "plan the dive as you go" utility of the in water computer that makes it more of a recreational tool than a technical one. With the Explorer, you're paying a heavy premium for the technical capabilities, however.

As for a comparison to the NiTek3, based upon marketing claims, the Explorer will be mixed gas with 9 pre-set gas selections (allowing combinations of O2, N2, He, Ar and Ne), versus the NiTek with 3 Nitrox/O2 mixes, and will allow selection of ten different algorithms versus the NiTek's one. The battery will be user changeable on the Explorer.

My recommendation for the type of diving you do: you're much better off with the NiTek3 if you already own it. If you don't own either one, get a digital bottom timer and Decoplanner for 1/10th the cost.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]