Re: Poseidon Regulators

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chris on December 20, 2000 at 18:33:40:

In Reply to: Poseidon Regulators posted by Jim Hoffmann on December 20, 2000 at 17:45:29:

The safety relief valve, that is part of the ODIN, prevents any possibility of over pressure hose damage. It is not a problem.
Although the Odin is called by many an upstream regulator, it does not have a conventional vale seat or mechanism, and I believe this is an oversimplification of it's operation. The air servo control is an upstream valve, but since only a minute amount of air ever flows though the servo control itself, it is not subject to the problems of conventional upstream regulators.

Understanding of how the Odin works requires a grasp of Bernoulli's principle of aerodynamics, and is not easily explained to people who do not have mechanical or engineering background. It is however a very simple and reliable mechanism.

The one Odin I ever encountered which chattered was easily fixed by replacing the internal synthetic valve/diaphram assembly. I believe the problem is related to the effective "spring" constant of that piece and it's interaction with the air servo.

The problem with wet breathing is usually due to salt crystal build up on the exhaust portion of the diaphragm.
A simple way to fix this is to pop the second stage mechanism out of the housing, then place the housing, with the now open end, under a fresh water faucet with warm (not HOT!) water running through the diaphragm. This will usually cure the problem.
Disassembly and soaking the parts in a mildly acid solution (like white vinegar) also work, but this is beyond the capabilities of most end users.

I own a G250/MK10 and I personally prefer either my ODIN or Cyclon to this reg. I have also tried an ATOMIC regulator, but prefer my ODIN. Considering that anew odin can be had for $340, it is very hard to justify the purchase price of an ATOMIC or Scubapro reg.
In addition, the quality of Scubapro products seems to have declined in recent years, many of their older versions of regulators are superior the the versions they sell today.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]