Something I can answer!!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by JRM on December 21, 2000 at 16:20:58:

In Reply to: Central Cal. (Santa Barbara question) posted by Newbie on December 21, 2000 at 16:05:31:

OK, so something I can finally contribute!

I assume your talking about 154 over the pass. I don't know the exact altitude, but it isn't over 2500 feet. And while I'm not a doctor, or any form of expert, your results may vary, this is no endorsement or advice, etc, I've dove in the morning and driven 154 over the pass several times, with no ill effects. My wife has probably done that more than 50 times in the last ten years, also with no ill affects. And while you're there, there is a candy shop in Solvang, on the drag there, that has fudge that is to die for. I think I still have some in the freezer! I'm gonna have to go home and check.

The main risk about 154 is the stinking drunks on it. If it's after dark on a weekend I wouldn't get caught dead up there. I've had two people I know hit by drunk drivers up there. Oh, and if you want a really nice place to dive, hit either Tajiguas or Refugio State Beach. Refugio is a bit of a swim out to the kelp, but it's really lush, the fishing is good, and there's bugs just around the point (OK, that's a real swim, but mmmm, bugs). I was there over thanksgiving freediving, and it was great. Saw a nice size sunfish.

If you don't mind a trudge and it's calm, try thousand steps. Although walking back up is a real bear. Butterfly beach off Montecito is kinda nice, although mostly sand. There are *huge* sand dollar beds, and occassionally a bug or two in the eel grass (although their probably pretty much picked over by now).

Look in the phone book for Anacapa Dive Center (used to be diver's den), they have a good local guide they sell in there pretty cheap.

JRM

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]