Compass Location

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Wayne on December 27, 2000 at 00:17:40:

In Reply to: Re: DIR question posted by Randy Medaris on December 26, 2000 at 13:04:06:

This last year I moved my compass from my wrist to a console. It seemed very foreign for me to have to take the console out to follow a compass heading. But I have gotten used ot it and found a couple of things that I like about it.

My arms are more streamlined now. I no longer bang the compass as much underwater and getting into my gear is a lot easier without that big wrist mount getting in the way.

But I definately prefer the compass on the wrist if I actually expect to use it during a dive. I periodically glance at it and keep track of approximate course during the dive so I can return to the boat when I am ready to ascend. But when I expect to USE the compass to navigate or search, it comes off the console and moves back to the wrist.

Way back when, before consoles, we all used wrist compasses and everybody was taught to navigate that way. Now they are being taught to use a console, and I do not think they get it. The number of students and newbies who have difficulty because they cannot line up the lubber line is way too high. I do not suggest to have an answer, but I wanted to provide another perspective on the compass location and usability.

Wayne

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]