Re: liveaboards at Sea of Cortez

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ken Kurtis on December 27, 2000 at 11:55:56:

In Reply to: liveaboards at Sea of Cortez posted by Maciek on December 27, 2000 at 11:35:29:

I can never say enough good things about the Don Jose and their crew (out of La Paz - through Baja Expeditions) as that's the outfit we've used for the last 13 years when we do our annual week-long October trip to the Sea of Cortez.

However, you should be aware that the diving seaopn is generally considered, at least as far as La Paz goes (where some of the best diving is), to be May through November . . . and even May and November can be a bit iffy.

Thsi time of the year the water is fairly cool, sometimes in the mid-60s, and the winds can blow hard, making dive site choices limited at best. (Right now, 12/27 @ Noon, according to the CNN weather site, it's 66º in La Paz and the wind is blowing at 10mph out of the NNW.)

The liveabords, Don Jose and Solmar being the two most prominent, don't work the area again until late spring. You could probably find some day boats that will be runing, but I don't think you'll be getting the kind of diving you're anticipating.

If winter is your only window of opportunity to go on a dive vacation, you might want to consider an alternate location. But if you've got your heart set on the Sea of Cortez (one of my personal absolute favorite places to go), generally September and October are the best times.

Ken Kurtis
NAUI Instr. #5936
Co-owner, Reef Seekers Dive Co.
Beverly Hills, Ca.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]