Re: Dry Suits/Zeagle

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ken Kurtis on December 27, 2000 at 17:45:50:

In Reply to: Dry Suits posted by Randy on December 27, 2000 at 08:54:13:

I personally use a Zeagle Expedition GN that's a crushed neoprene and I'd have to disagree totally with the "doesn't provide any insulation" comments as all I were underneath the Zeagle is a t-shirt and some lightweight sweatpants - no traditional drysuit underwear at all. I've dove the suit in water as cold as 50º for close to an hour. (I've got the Zeagle underwear but have just never felt cold enough to need to use it, as well as feeling less bulky without it.)

If you've ever seen the Zeagle suit, you'll know the material seems more like a traditional wetsuit. Zeagle says the suits is 8mm crushed to 4mm but it feels like a 7mm to me. However, because of the thickness, it has really good insulating properties and a fairly trim fit (for a drysuit), and both of those factors allow me to get away with just wearing the t-shirt.

The DUI CF is also a crushed neoprene but a much thinner material than the Zeagle. I'm looking at the new DUI 2001 catalogue right and I can't see anywhere where they say how thick it is, but my best guess would be in the 2-3mm range. This would also explain why the DUI users (I haven't dove it myself) comment on the lack of insulation, whereas I feel that's not a factor with the Zeagle.

DUI also makes a CN-SE material which they describe as a "1.5mm Hyper-Compressed neoprene with heavy-duty nylon outer layer." Based on the thickness, I'd think that suit also woulnd't provide much insualtion in and of itself.

As to the wetsuit-vs-drysuit fit question, even a "snug" drysuit won't fit as tightly as a wetsuit. My Zeagle, which is a custom, still has plenty of gaps and room for underwear. The DUIs (which is predominantly what we sell at Reef Seekers) also fit roomily enough to leave space for the underwear.

Although I realize your limitations based on where you live, it would be beneficial if you can figure out a way to try on each suit. It definitely will help shape your decision.

Hope some of this is helpful.

Ken Kurtis
NAUI Instr. #5936
Co-owner, Reef Seekers Dive Co.
Beverly Hills, Ca. 90211

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]