I would like to follow up.....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by msblucow on December 29, 2000 at 11:13:12:

In Reply to: Re: If a stroke is one with an unsafe attitude, what is DIR? posted by MHK on December 29, 2000 at 10:37:24:

to what MHK said. I can only speak to my own experience, but theoretically (by your logic) I should be the poster child for getting slammed by MHK, Terry, John Walker and other members of the DIR crowd. I've only been diving for a year-and-a-half, I've only got about 75 dives under my belt,until 6 months ago I didn't even own any equipment, and I'M A GIRL (and I don't look like a quick-change thong model, either).

However, once I started to get exposed to this BBS and rec.scuba and started to express an interest in Halcyon (I had learned to hate jacket-style BCs because they felt so restrictive and so was looking for an alternative), MHK and Terry were both very generous with their time and knowledge - lending me a Halcyon rig to try several times and giving me pointers on gear configuration and diving techniques. I never felt intimidated or reluctant to ask questions because they never intimidated me or tried to make me feel stupid. (And believe me, I was asking some pretty basic questions). When we've gone diving together on the same boat(to the Yukon and open boat trips on the Great Escape) I NEVER got pressure from them to dive beyond my capabilities or comfort level.

I think the key here is that I don't have anything to prove. I'm not macho and I'm not insecure and I've got a good handle on what my capabilities are (and aren't). I want to learn new things. I'm willing to take or leave what I've been told based the facts presented to me. I won't argue just to argue and if I do disagree with something I'll try to explain why based on the facts I have.

Hope that helps.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]