Here is today's news. More questions, few answers.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Wayne on December 30, 2000 at 11:26:22:

In Reply to: Yukon Death posted by ken Kurtis on December 29, 2000 at 18:54:41:

www.uniontrib.com/news/metro/20001230-9999_1m30yukon.html

It is so sad when this type of accident happens. No good explanation, heartsick survivors, and no answers to be found.

Changing the subject away from this accident somewhat:

On my dives to her I found the Yukon to be deep, cold, surgey, with poor visibility. Not all certified divers are ready for this type of dive. It is an advanced dive for divers with advanced experiences under their weightbelts. A simple AOW cert is not the same as advanced experience. I am not saying that this had anything whatsoever to do with this tragedy, but am only saying that divers who venture to the Yukon should be prepared for a serious dive in deep water.

In many resort areas that I have seen, divers are required to hire a divemaster as a guide in deep dives, unless they can show a log indicating that it is not necessary. Personally, I think this woudl be a good move in the case of the Yukon. A knowledgable guide can enhance the experience and improve diver safety. I do not know iof the commericial boats offer this service as a matter of course, but it seems a good moneymaker and a benefit to the tourist divers coming to dive here. Far too often folks who dive in Cancun and the Bahamas think they are prepared for our waters. Sometimes they are found lacking.

Wayne

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]