You may be right, but it works in other places

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Wayne on December 30, 2000 at 15:53:04:

In Reply to: Re: Here is today's news. More questions, few answers. (longish) posted by e-shark on December 30, 2000 at 15:07:24:

Prodive in Florida clearly states the policy before you buy. "To do this dive you need the following." No surprises or last minute notifications. I think nearly all shops I have been around are willing to sell DM services. I would think that if it was on the price list as a guided tour to allow full enjoyment in one dive, it woudl be popular. If I had not taken the pre-sinking dive briefing and studied my map (OK so I had to lay on my side to make it work), I would have not seen or recognized much on my first visit to the Yukon. If I was here for one day of diving and got to do one dive on the yukon, followed by a kelp forest dive, I would appreciate the guide. Us local guys and gals who are used to cold deep dives might not want this, but the tourist visitors would and I think they are at greatest risk.

Our local dive operators are used to catering to us cantankerous, independant, California divers. I just think that the non-locals need a different set of options. Our waters are more dangerous than many other tourist places. We all ridicule the dumbing down of certifications, but fail to recognise that they are being streamlined to cater to the tourdivers.

Don't get me wrong. I am not saying that any San Diego operators are doing anything wrong. I think they are doing a great job. Look at the stats: >10,000 divers on this deep wreck and this is the first tragedy. I was just spouting off about some future offerings that might help with even more future revenue.

I think of diving with Extended Horizons in Maui as some of hte best lead tours I have been on. We got the opportunity to see more because they are there and we are in all the pictures -- bonus! We gladly pay more for this while on vacation dives. But when on Maui, we will do 10 tanks on our own for every one in a tour. But the ones that are in places where we might not know our way around, we take the local DM -- either through a shop or off the street (I do check their renewal sticker for current status and I do not recommend taking just any local "diver" as they might be a danger to themselves and you if they are not properly trained. Always look at her/his DM card).

Just a couple of thoughts.

Wayne

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]