What is DIR?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Wayne on December 31, 2000 at 09:42:15:

In Reply to: Re: If a stroke is one with an unsafe attitude, what is DIR? posted by Ray on December 30, 2000 at 13:56:05:

I could not resist chiming in on this one! First of all I am not a DIR diver or an Anti-DIR diver. So let me give a try to explain how I see DIR.

DIR stands for doing it right. It is a way of diving that includes everything from dive planning, gear configuration, who you dive with, etc. It is a wholistic philosphy of diving borne out of necessity in extreme diving conditions. A DIR diver is the safest diver in the world -- no make that a buddy team of DIR divers.

The active DIR divers take a lot of heat and gruff from the rest of us because they want us to change our ways and be as safe and well trained as they are. Us non-dir divers comfortable with our style of sipping air underwater take a bit of flak because we do not adhere to their way of diving.

SOmetimes the arguments here are angry and bitter sounding, but keep this in mind. We are all trying to find a way to enjoy diving.

On this board you will find several experts on DIR who will enlighten you on the details. You can also look at the archives.

Wayne

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]