Re: DIR

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Randy54 on January 03, 2001 at 15:47:56:

In Reply to: Re: DIR posted by MHK on January 03, 2001 at 09:50:46:

Mike: Here is my confusion. You state that DIR allows differant gear configurations. Yet, if for valid reasons, I do not hang my spare reg around my neck, I'm not DIR. I have a short stubby neck, and to hag a reg there would cause me great discomfort. So, for me, Doing It Right would be to have the spare reg somewhere else. I choose to put it inline with my power inflator. So I would still donate my normal reg to an OOA diver. I use a Mares Syncro 840, that has a right shoulder air dump, so if I'm using my spare reg, no problem dumping air from my BC. But this BC is not a wings style,nor does it have a steel back plate. So I'm not DIR. But I did get rid of an extra LP hose, so that would be DIR. Question, why does a DIR diver have to have a wings style BC, and why a steel back plate? I understand the basic premise of the wings is for stream lining in caves and wrecks, but I don't do penitration dives, so that shouldn't be required for me to be DIR. The back plate still eludes me. Is it for weight distrubution? I've added 10lbs in non-ditchable weights to my AL80. I've had people question me on this, and my answer is for weight shift. I also remind them that as far as danger goes, no one would bother me about using a steel 100, and the weights are now almost the same. So if I'm streamlining and balancing my weight, isn't that part of the DIR philosiphy? My main objection isn't DIR itself, but that one group of people say they are DIR. But what my be DIR for you, may not work for me. Another area you have talked about is getting rid of dive computers. Use your non-electronic depth gauge, and watch, and use the dive tables. Fine for you, but not me. Math is the worst subject I had to deal with. I would not be safe if I had to rely on my math skills to keep me from getting bent. I almost didn't get certified in 1970 because the tables, on dry land in a class room where almost too much. Thank god for computers! they are definately DIR for me. This is a serious post. No flame, fact. how do these things work with DIR? You and Frank have had some serious flames about what is DIR and what isn't. I'm glad you two are friendlier now. But what turned me off of your concept of DIR was some of these basic requirements that don't work for me. I would be less bothered if you style of diving was called something other than DIR. Again, because what might be right for you, may not be for me, and many others.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]