Re: The view from here

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Max Bottomtime on January 04, 2001 at 18:40:19:

In Reply to: Re: The view from here posted by tleemay on January 04, 2001 at 18:08:33:

Terry,
First of all, I never mentioned deep or solo. I just went through my logbook, and deep dives make up 3% of my total number of dives and solo is less than 1%. Also, I have never considered myself to be a techdiver. I like the term Wreckreational diver. :-)
As for the "what value do you place on your life" comment, plenty. That's why I don't do deep, solo dives with independant singles. By the same token, Volvos are the safest car to drive. Would you suggest that all drivers buy only Volvos? DIR makes up only a tiny percentage of the number of divers worldwide. If everyone dived DIR, there would be fewer accidents. For that to happen, diving would become a sport open only to the affluent, or people with large chunks of disposable income. The DIR demos are a good idea, but the only way to educate the masses is to take those same demos to the certifying agencies and show them how to teach safe diving practices. If more OW1 grads were open to the idea of DIR, manufacturers would jump on the bandwagon and prices would lower into the range of Joe Sixpack Diver.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]