Re: What problems have SoCal divers had with Poseidon Odin's?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kendall Raine on January 11, 2001 at 10:54:45:

In Reply to: What problems have SoCal divers had with Poseidon Odin's? posted by MuckDiver on January 10, 2001 at 22:19:45:

I've had mine for seven years and have had only two mechanical problems.

1) The original HP seat rod was defective and bent during pressurization after about 20 dives causing total HP seat failure and massive free flow. This occured upon pressurization so was not a diving related problem. Hasn't happened since.
2) After about 5 1/2 years a small spring in the first stage gave out resulting in IP creep. The spring is not on the list of regular replacement items so it took me a while to isolate the problem-had to call Poseidon.

In addition, Jim's right, the cost of service for these things is very high-parts are not even covered by warranty.

There are some design flaws in the second stage, too. The Jetstream second requires a screw driver to access the exhaust diaphram. If you get crap under it, you can't fix it underwater and it'll breathe wet until you do. Also, the HP OPV valve in the hose requires a special fitting which means it won't work with any other reg. Hence you can't change seconds underwater unless you have all Jetstreams. Finally, that special fitting means extra expense when you change hoses or want to go with a long hose.

The SP's have a reputation amongst Superior divers for freeze up in cold water. I dive Paradise every summer and have not had any problem with my MK10/G250's, but then again I keep the IP at 120 psi or less and have helium in the mix which lowers the propensity to free flow..

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]